The Methodist Church
Methodists have been worshipping on this site in Uppingham for nearly 200 years.
It all began in 1817 when Charles Peach, a schoolmaster, living in High Street East, registered his schoolroom as a ‘place of dissenting worship’.
In 1819 the Methodists purchased the present site for the sum of £58 16s and built what was then known as the Wesleyan Chapel at a cost of £486 13s 3d.
In 1872 the church was substantially rebuilt providing seating for 180. In 1887 a schoolroom was added. No. 3 North Street West, probably intended as a manse, was owned by the church until the mid-20th century. The side entrance to the church from North Street West leads into what was originally an old cottage and in living memory was a barber’s shop. The two cottages on Orange Street were built and owned by the Drake family who were stonemasons and prominent Methodists from the beginning until the mid-20th century.
In 1999 a major refurbishment of the interior was completed to provide comfortable multi purpose premises for a new millennium. The Church celebrated its 200th anniversary in 2017 with a series of exhibitions and events.